What are Webhooks?
Webhooks let you receive automated messages when certain events occur. When you create a webhook subscription, you can choose which events you want to be notified of and your webhook subscription URL will receive a message each time that event happens.
The message will contain information describing that event which you can then use however you see fit, for instance having an item added to your task management app when a Library Review is assigned to you. To find out which events you can subscribe to and the information they contain, see our article: What Information is in a Webhook Event Notification?
How to Create a Webhook Subscription
Permissions Required: General Administration, Level 1 (Manager) permissions or higher are required to add and edit webhooks
- Go to the Admin screen, then click on Integrations
- Scroll to the Webhooks title under the For Developers section
- Click Add a Webhook
- Enter the URL for your webhook and select the events you would like to subscribe to
Note: Your URL protocol must be in https
- Once your webhook has been successfully created, you will see its status set to Pending Security Check. Clicking on the Validate Webhook URL button will show a popup containing your webhook’s signing secret.
The signing secret is used to verify that requests sent to your webhook URL come from Loopio. Check out our article How Do I Use My Signing Secret? to learn more.
Tip: Your webhook will stay in a pending state and will not be able to start receiving notifications for the events it is subscribed to until it passes our URL validation. To learn more about this process, read our guide How Do I Validate My Webhook URL?
- Once your webhook’s URL has passed our validation, you will see your webhook’s status set to Active, and it will now be able to receive notifications for the events it is subscribed to.
Managing Your Webhooks
Each webhook connection can be managed through the gear button beside the Signing Secret column
- You can regenerate your signing secret for security reasons by selecting the Regenerate Secret option in the gear button dropdown and clicking the Regenerate Secret button
- You can update your subscribed events or webhook URL by selecting the Edit option in the gear button dropdown. Notice that changing the webhook URL requires reverification
- You can delete your webhook connection by selecting the Delete option in the gear button dropdown
You can re-verify your webhook URL by clicking the Validate Webhook URL link and Validate button in the case that your webhook connection is disabled